From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> There is nothing wrong with the "old way" if you haven't touched the
> sources since your last buildworld.

I think you read that wrong. I was not implying that the "old way"
was bad in anyway, I was just qouting the handbook reference to
being the "old way".

> You are obviously missing stuff that is required for SCSI support.

I do not have any SCSI, USB, PCMCIA, and RAID hardware, so
I removed all that stuff, which could be part of the problem-o. :)

Some of these, (even if one does not have the hardware) must be
required no matter what, then?

> Right now, it seems that you're missing at least "device pass" and
> related stuff...  I'd recommend starting over by:
>
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> # cp GENERIC RANCID
>
> then make a few modifications to RANCID and build your kernel:
>
> # vi RANCID
> # config -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RANCID RANCID
> # cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RANCID
> # make depend && make clean && make all

Another user suggested:

# cd /usr/src/sys/compile
# rm -R name_of_kernel_dir

To remove reminisce of the partial make?

Now back to start:

# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
Edit lightly
# ee MYKERNEL
# /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
# cd ../.../compile/MYKERNEL
# make depend
# make
# make install

Could you please elaborate on your differences? I am new to most of
this, so I am interested in different users experiences.

Thank you!

Danny