Comments inline:

Written by Yanko Sanchez on 05/21/07 19:44>>
@youshi10:
yeah, I'm aware that MacOSX supports for unix, but at the time that we
transfered the data to the hdd we didn't know which server was gonna
be running the hdd... Fat32 was the only FS that we know would be
compatible with any OS (but we didn't know of the size limit) so if
the server had been a Windows 2003 server, I don't think I would have
had any chance of opening that FS (unless 3rd party software if there
is any)

Anyways, here is the info that Reid asked for.

1: I updated the ports tree following the instructions of freebsd wiki

The FreeBSD wiki is a collection of pages, I need to know which specific pages contained your instructions.

2:  I recompiled the kernel following the instructions of freebsd wiki:
cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BASTION /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BASTION2
vim /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BASTION2
added option MSDOSFS_LARGE

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=BASTION2

make installkernel KERNCONF=BASTION2
reboot

This is a standard way to install a new kernel.

3: uname -a:
FreeBSD bastion 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #2L Mon May 21 00:30:39
PDT 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BASTION2  i386

4: iffconfig -a:
bastion# ifconfig -a

rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=8<VLAN_MTU>
    atalk 65280.205 range 0-65534 phase 2 broadcast 0.255
    ether 00:e0:18:8d:10:8f
    status: active
fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
    options=8<VLAN_MTU>
    ether 0a:00:46:29:6f:02
    ch 1 dma -1
plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    atalk 0.0 range 0-0 phase 2

Also, I think my network card that shows up took the place of the
otherone, in other words, rl1 is now rl0 and rl1 is gone... I don't
know if that just changed cos it can't find the other network card.

I think the output of pciconf -lv might help as well.

You should be able to boot back up in your old kernel so you can at least get back to your previous working conditions. When you boot the machine, and you see the boot menu, select the option to escape to the loader prompt. Here, 'unload kernel' and 'load /boot/kernel.old/kernel', then 'boot' to start the system. Whenever you make installkernel from the source tree, it will back up your old kernel and modules in /boot/kernel.old. Alternatively, you can move /boot/kernel to /boot/kernel.bak and move /boot/kernel.old to /boot/kernel to restore your original kernal and modules, and reboot the machine.