On 24/05/07, kalin mintchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

so nobody on this list knows anything about raid?
wrong list?

> hi all..
>
> i have a box in a remote hosting facility that claims that the machine has
> two discs raided in it but df and fstab show only one disc with a bunch of
> slices.
> under devices there is another name - ad6 - but it's not mounted anywhere.
> the one i see both in df and the fstab is ad4 with one big slice and
> different partitions....
>
> they insist there are 2 raided discs in tha machine. the os is 5.4 and i
> think at that point the raid drivers were still considered 'experimental'.
>
> it makes sense to me that if i don't see a second drive in the fstab there
> isn;t any mounting which means that there is no raid going on...
>
> is there any other way i can make sure if raid is actually on?
> would there will be any logs somewhere?
> the machine has been up for about 2 years and the dmesg is long gone...
>
> thanks.....

Lots of people here know plenty about RAID,
but you don't provide very much information.

If dmesg itself returns none of the startup info,
you can look in /var/log/dmesg.[today|yesterday].

/usr/sbin/pciconf can tell you what controller(s)
may be attached.

A proper RAID will show up as a single device,
just like any hard drive (but different).

It does seem odd to me that a (supposed) RAID
would show up as /dev/ad4.

Possibilities:
Your RAID really is on /dev/ad4 and /dev/ad6 is
something unexplained.
Your RAID controller is unsupported in 5.x and
not Doing The Right Thing but somehow still (kind
of) working as a normal [S]ATA controller.
Your RAID controller is unsupported in 5.x and
your hosting company realised this and wired
the shebang up as a normal [S]ATA controller
because they couldn't get FreeBSD to install
otherwise.
There is a RAID controller and there are two disks
connected to it, but the controller was not set up
correctly.
There is a RAID controller and there are two disks
connected to some other controller which might lead
to some interesting phone calls.
Your remote hosting company put a RAID with two
disks in some random machine and someone else
is complaining on some other list about the inverse
of your problem.