Svein Halvor Halvorsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is also beyond the point, although I appreciate that you
> suggest alternative ways to meet my objectives. dump/restore would
> also require additional disk space.

Not as elegant as your idea, but you can always dump from the snapshot
and restore back on the filesystem.  You can't use a "pristine"
restore(8), and you need the extra space on the same filesystem, but
it will work.

Your basic idea seems quite workable as far as I can see, so it would
be a Simple Matter of Programming to get it to work.  [Note that since
the copy-on-write mapping only goes one way, the code to do this will
have to walk the whole snapshot filesystem, rebuilding inode status
(and cleaning up ones that didn't exist in the snapshot) as it goes.
A fair amount of work, even if nothing is tricky in theory.]

Be well.