Dan,

On Saturday 25 January 2003 21:49, Danny wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to wrap my head around the make.conf file, and I am curious
> to know if others have multiple /etc/make.conf files for certain
> situations, or just one.

Mostly you should have just one file, it should specify your type of CPU,
things you wouldn't want built, etc, that kind of stuff generally should only
ever change if you are doing things like cross-compiling for machines on
other platforms.

> Could you please post your /etc/make.conf(s) and explain the contents
> and resulting actions of your file.

The best documentation on /etc/make.conf is in the make.conf(5) manpage. It
has extensive explanations of all the options you can use and what they do.

> Thank you!
>
> Danny
>
> P.S. After a fresh install (4.7R), are you suppose to have an
> /etc/make.conf? I found the /etc/defaults/make.conf, but I do not have an
> /etc/make.conf

On a fresh install, there is no make.conf. This is because in all cases,
/etc/defaults/make.conf is read first, and then, if it exists,
/etc/make.conf. If anything in make.conf differs or conflicts with
defaults/make.conf, the setting in make.conf is taken to be the correct one.
The best way to set up a make.conf is to take options in defaults/make.conf
that you want to change, and put the changed option in make.conf, then add
extra options you might want from the listings in the make.conf(5) manpage.

Good luck
Will

Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant