Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 06:07:58AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>> On 24/05/07, kalin mintchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> so nobody on this list knows anything about raid?
>>> wrong list?

>>> has

>>> of

>>> anywhere.

>>> 'experimental'.

>>> there

>> Lots of people here know plenty about RAID,
>> but you don't provide very much information.
>>
>> If dmesg itself returns none of the startup info,
>> you can look in /var/log/dmesg.[today|yesterday].
>>
>> /usr/sbin/pciconf can tell you what controller(s)
>> may be attached.
>>
>> A proper RAID will show up as a single device,
>> just like any hard drive (but different).
>>
>> It does seem odd to me that a (supposed) RAID
>> would show up as /dev/ad4.
>>

> A hardware raid will look like any other drive to the system.
> If it is SATA raid, it should be adN
> It is it SAS raid, it should be daN.

I have an SATA RAID controller (rocketraid 1640) and the drive shows up
as daN and not adN
When I tested the controller without the driver loaded the DRIVES showed
up ad adN, I put
drives in caps because this is what I think is happening here, the
driver isn't loaded and/or no
RAID devices were created, so the RAID controller's drives just show up
as drives and the
controller is just used as a non-RAID controller. I suspect this is why
he sees a second disk.

Gabriel