Roland Smith writes:

>  > > Note you do not back up the swap partition which is normally 'b'
>  > > and don't do anything to the 'c' partition which is there only to
>  > > describe the slice to the system and is not a true partition.
>  > > You can probably skip backing up your /tmp also.
>  >
>  >  What about /dev and /var?
>
>  I'd backup /var, because it's usually small. And it also contains
>  important things like your port options, and the database of
>  installed packages.

        While everyone needs to e aware of their own circumstances
... most of /var _can_ be rebuilt with varying degrees of effort.
One exception I'm aware of: I believe mysql defaults to /var/mysql.
(On the other hand  - if that data is important, you already have a
separate backup arrangement.  Right?)

                                Robert Huff