Vittorio De Martino wrote:
Il Monday 28 May 2007 14:51:04 John Nielsen ha scritto:
On Monday 28 May 2007 11:18:07 Vittorio De Martino wrote:
On my newly bought HP pavillion 6366 notebook with freebsd 6.2 - p4 and
one of the latest portsnap I have an nvidia go 7400 card, *** fully ***
supported by the nvidia driver according to the docs.

I followed the minimal configuration by nvidia-xconfig and just taiored
the language for the keyboard....BUT
  startx fails to load X and in the log file I find I find the below
reported errors.

Being a beginner I find myself somewhat disorientated by these errors
that I couldn't find surfing the net.

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please
ensure (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this
system, and (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been
created properly. (EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README
for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
Not too cryptic. Make sure that the nvidia kernel module is loaded and try
again. To verify, type "kldstat". If nvidia.ko is not listed, type "kldload
nvidia". To load it automatically on boot (which is the only way for it to
load successfully), add a line like this to /boot/loader.conf:

nvidia_load="YES"

Then reboot.

Actually the nvidia.ko mdule was and is loaded
hpbsd# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   24 0xc0400000 5b33d8   kernel
 4    3 0xc0a7e000 1e058    linux.ko
 5    1 0xc0a9d000 435c     acpi_video.ko
 6    3 0xc0aa2000 61ba0    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc0b04000 6d4de0   nvidia.ko
 8    1 0xc11d9000 aed4     cpufreq.ko
 9    1 0xc11e4000 4a2c     acpi_ibm.ko
15    1 0xc7245000 2000     rtc.ko

I was able to eliminate the following error
--------------------
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libwfb.so
dlopen: Shared object "librpcsvc.so.2" not found, required by "libwfb.so"
(EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libwfb.so
------------------
because the required librpcsvc.so.2 has become (and is presente as) librpcsvc.so.3. Therefore I linked ln -s librpcsvc.so.3 librpcsvc.so.2

That's ok now BUT

NVIDIA: could not open the device /dev/nvidiactl (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly. (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.

still something incorrect prevents startx to fire X.
The problems seems to be /dev/nvidiactl!

Please help - Vittorio

Add yourself to the video group and chown/mod the /dev node until you have read, write, and executable access.

-Garrett