I am wanting to write a gui frontend to pkg_cutleaves.  I see that it is
just a simple perl script so, it would be quite simple to just put a gtk
frontend on it and call it a day.  However, I am starting to write a
good amount of code in java and was wondering what others think about
java as the de-facto gui standard on the BSD desktop.

For what it's worth, I think Java should be far more present in the
FreeBSD at least as far as desktop is concerned and it's a good
alternative to Qt/Tk/Gtk for GUI applications. Java is a fine serious
programming language whose strongest selling point a long time ago
ceased to be "write once, run anywhere".

Just my .02,
--
Nino