Jack Schneider wrote:
Roland Smith wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:41:47PM -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
 Hi, Anyone.
 My /Usr directory/slice is now over 5.2 GB for a basic workstation 6.2
install. thats 90%+ of the slice. I need help with a procedure to clean
 it up. The machine is:

FreeBSD Growler.maplebend.net 6.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3 #2:
 Wed Apr 18 11:16:35 CDT 2007
 KDE 3.5.1

 Updated /ports & Sources via CVSUP.

 I have no idea where to start. Where should I look for redundant or
 obsolete files?

You could clear out the files in /usr/ports/distfiles, because you can always
download those again.

If you have ever built a new kernel & world, you can clean out /usr/obj
after installing them.
If you have ports that you don't use, pkg_delete those as well, since
they're in /usr/local. For instance, if you've upgraded to xorg 7.2, you
can delete most of the drivers ports.

While you're at it, you can set the nodump flag on both of these
directories, so that they're no backed up.

Roland

Whoa!!! Let me absorb and explore all the goodies 8-) I got from you folks...

I'll let you know how it turns out.  one by one..

Thanks, Guys

Jack

As sugested by  Roland Smith,  I looked at /usr/obj as follows:
Growler# cd /usr/obj ; ls -al
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Mar 30 12:08 .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel  512 May 29 14:34 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Mar 30 12:08 usr
Growler# du -hs *
163M    usr
Growler# rm -rf usr
Growler#

It appears a copy of the /usr directory & files were placed there. Back in March? I deleted it as you can see, that got me a little space and it's still running... 8-)

Jack