IBM PS/2 POST messages were definitely the worst.  Any error would simply
issue a numeric code - no text whatsoever.  You were to look the numeric
code up in some manual or other.  That was fine if the code came from a
system on the motherboard.  It was not fine if the code came from a
non-IBM peripheral card since there was no master listing of 3rd party codes
back in the old days.  Here's a sample list:

http://bioscentral.com/misc/ibmdiag.htm

Ted