On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Andrew Falanga wrote:

What scanners are best used with FreeBSD?  I'm hoping for one that I
can use in both Windoze and FreeBSD.  Preferably, one that is USB.
I've never configured a scanner for FreeBSD before and would like
recommendations on hardware before purchasing.

The best supported are those recognized by uscanner. 'man uscanner' or look at /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/uscanner.c to see the list.

Also look at

http://www.sane-project.org

to see which are the easiest to use (status "Good" or "Complete", no firmware downloads needed).

Really, picking a scanner is tough. Finding ones that are supported is tricky enough. Finding one that isn't terribly slow is worse, since the manufacturers often don't provide benchmarks.

I have an Epson 1640SU which works great. Recommended, if you can find one.