>Some thoughts:

>1.  bsdlabel -Brw /dev/da0s1
    >- What is the option "r"?
    >- bsdlabel is supposed to create standard label
>which probably
>means creating da0s1a partition (can you call
>"bsdlabel /dev/da0s1" to
>see what was created?) So your next command should be
>"newfs
>/dev/da0s1a" rather than "newfs /dev/da0s1". And
>commands after that
>will need to be adjusted as well.

>2. boot0cfg -B -s 1 -t -v 182 /dev/da0
    >It should be "-v -t 182" rather than "-t -v 182".
>Not sure if it
>matters though.

>Hope this helps.
>Andrey

Thanks Andrey,

great news! placing newfs on /dev/da0s1a instead of
/dev/da0s1 really helped.  Now GRUB recognizes the
filesystem on my usb partition. Here's what's new.

#I placed 1 UFS2 partition on my USB key at
#/dev/da0s1a.

mount /dev/da0s1a /usb
mkdir -p /usb/boot/grub

#copied all files from /boot to /usb/boot and all
files #from /boot/grub to /usb/boot/grub (I know I can
make #it smaller but just copying all for now).  Next
I #invoked the grub shell and did the following:

grub> root (hd1,0,a)

Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type is 0xa5.

grub> setup (hd1)

Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5 (hd1)"... 16
sectors are embedded.
Succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1) (hd1)1+16 p
(hd1,0,a)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"...
Succeeded
Done.

#I reboot, and am excited to see the grub menu I've
set #up.  Here is my menu.lst:

default=0
timeout=30

title NewOS
root (hd0,0,a)
kernel /boot/loader

#You might notice I made root hd0.  This is actually
#helpful for anyone setting GRUB up for the first
time.
#You see when setting up grub from the shell within
#your computer, your first hard drive is always hd0,
#and your usb stick can be anything after that (in my
#case hd1).  You can test this by placing an oddly
#named text file in each of your grub directories (1
in #hard drive, 1 in usb stick), then using find from
the #grub shell to indicate where that oddly named
file is #located:

grub> find /boot/grub/weirdfile
(hd0,0,a)

#The main point is that when you reboot to your USB
#key, because it's now the first drive, it's probably
#going to be hd0, instead of hdx, thus my menu.lst.

# Anyway, back to the menu selection.  When I choose
the 'NewOS', this is what I get:

Booting 'NewOS'

root (hd0,0,a)
Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type is 0xa5
kernel /boot/loader
    [FreeBSD-a.out, loadaddr=0x200000, text=0x1000,
data=0x32000, bss=0x0, entry=0x200000]

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS drive D: is disk1
BIOS 631kB/980480kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root @barney.msu.edu, Sun May 8 03:20:03 UTC 2006)

#This is the last line, and if I wait about five
#minutes it prints these additional lines:

can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more
detailed help.
OK _

#Again I'm pretty sure I must have the right 'hd'
#addressing.  I tested this by changing the root
#location to (hd1,0,a) which found the boot loader off
#of my hard drive and booted.  I tested this by moving
#the loader from my hard drive out of /boot, and
#rebooting, where upon it couldn't find loader
anymore.

Alright I'll leave it there. (Starving for that little
morsel of knowledge out there that will unlock this!)

-Fred

(p.s. I'm new to the mailing lists, and can't find the
charter for any of the groups, anyone have a link? :)