On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:08:02 -0500
Tim Daneliuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (Originally asked on -hardware and -smp but no one seemed to have any
> ideas.  Repeating here to the larger group in hopes of some answers. TIA.)
>
> System:
>
> Intel D946GZIS MOBO w/ICH7 SATA-II support
> WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1 250G Hard Drive that claims to do 3G/s
> Pentium D @ 3.2GHz
>
> In addition to the on-board peripherals, the two available
> PCI slots have an Adaptec 2940 U/UW SCSI controller and
> a 3Com 3C901 card in them respectively.
>
> Running FBSD 6.2-STABLE as of yesterday.  Kernel is SMP.
>
> I've run into a problem that makes no sense to me and I suspect
> is related to how SMP works (or, then again, maybe not):
>
> 1) When booting FBSD 6.2, right after the second CPU is started
>     the system hangs for about 45 seconds and then proceeds normally.
>     This happens with GENERIC-Release, SMP-Stable, and SMP-Release kernels.
>     During this wait, the floppy goes active for some reason.  It's
>     as if the system is "hunting" for something.

Maybe unrelated - I had a similar problem yesterday on a small box @ home - it
was stopping for about 2 minutes or so just before showing the line about ad0.
It turned out one of the PCI cards (TV card) had become a bit lose and was
obvioulsy causing problems. Once this was solved, it booted fine with no
problem.

> 4) I *cannot* get xorg 7.2 to work with the onboard video.
>     If I configure it as a VESA video system, all is well.
>     If I try to tell it that I am using i810 video, I get this:
>
>           X Window System Version 7.2.0
>      Release Date: 22 January 2007
>      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
>      Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
>      Current Operating System: FreeBSD troll.tundraware.com 6.2-STABLE
> FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #5: Sun Jun  3 00:42:36 CDT 2007     [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i386
>      Build Date: 30 May 2007
>              Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>              to make sure that you have the latest version.
>      Module Loader present
>      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>              (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>              (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
>      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun  3 13:05:01 2007
>      (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
>      (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
>      (EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too
> low ??
>
>      Fatal server error:
>      AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
>
>     This makes no sense given that I have allocated 128M for video memory.

do you have AGP support in your kernel ?

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Do not take away the camels hump, you may be stopping him from being a camel.

Warned.