Rudolf Cejka wrote:
Pang wrote (2007/06/03):
I have just installed FreeBSD and found that the nic em0 is set to half-duplex only. Could anyone tell me how I can switch it to full-duplex?
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
       inet 172.16.0.2 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 172.16.0.1
       ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
       media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>)
       status: active

Hello, so I was right? ;o) I assume, that you have more capable device
on the other side, atleast 100 Mb/s full-duplex. In that case, you should
check, what connection type is "seen" on the other side (switches with
management!). Then you can check auto-negotiation settings on the other
side, try to change ethernet cable - it would be faulty and auto-neg would
not work correctly, then look, which chipset do you have - the driver would
not work with too new chips, I have here some ICH8 machines, which do work
just 100 Mb/s instead of 1 Gb/s (I expect that -current should work now).

Regards.

PS: Another very good command is ifconfig -m em0, where you can see all
allowed media/mediaopt combinations.

Hello,
The auto-negotiation doesn't work properly. (it goes to half-duplex automatically). But, it works when I switched it back full-duplex manually.
 However, the switch doesn't seem to support 100baseTX or better.
Thanks
Pang