Matt Juszczak wrote:
Hi all,

I have a dedicated box with a hosting company. The power supply failed in the box this morning, and the company replaced it and brought the box back up.

In my logs, I have:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /home was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
/usr: mount pending error: blocks 80 files 1
WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /var/tmp was not properly dismounted

In my opinion, this calls for an fsck in single user mode. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the box.

Is htis something I should have them do? It seems /usr is affected, and the /var/log/messages shows a few other errors as well.

What's the best way to go about fixing this. Should I ask them to `fsck -y` from console in single user mode since I can't be there to look at the prompts?

It all depends on the severity of the situation. Next boot may fix your problem or it may not. It is a good idea to do it in single user mode but if you don't have console/physical access to the box then maybe this could help you:

fsck_y_enable="YES"

Just add that into the /etc/rc.conf, reboot and wait awhile.

After the machine is up and running, fsck it and see if it throws any errors.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Mikhail.

--