On Jun 4, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

This is probably due to the new structure of xorg. On my system, mplayer now depenws on 104 other ports (pkg_info -rx mplayer|grep Dependency:|wc -l).

Some dependencies will be counted multiple times that way, try

  pkg_info -rx mplayer|grep Dependency:| sort | uniq | wc -l

to get a more reasonable number.

I don't have mplayer on my system so I can't check that particular one, but here's another example

 $ pkg_info -rx docproj | grep '^Depend'  | wc -l
     143
 $ pkg_info -rx docproj | grep '^Depend'  | sort | uniq | wc -l
      57

I really have no idea of how the pkg database works so I don't know whether it treats those duplications wisely.

I've seen the same with other ports that depend on X. And 'make clean'
in said ports also takes a while.

I believe that I've seen what seems like needless repetitions of "cleaning for FOO".

Cheers,

-j