That's great!  One question, how do I make it highlight the entire line,
rather than the searched-for text?

Thanks!

Eric Crist

On 6/6/07, Zhang Weiwu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear list

I'd like to highlight part of output of one application that matches a
regular expression. First I thought this is simple:

$ my_app | grep --color=auto 'regexp'

This method have a big problem that lines doesn't match regexp is not
displayed, in my case I want all output of my_app being displayed, only
the matching part highlighted.

First I thought grep might have a parameter to output everything it
receive, and it seems it doesn't. And I discovered I can use '-e'
parameter for this purpose:

$ my_app | grep --color=auto -e 'regexp' -e '$'

The second -e makes all line matched.

Maybe useful for some newbies.
--
Zhang Weiwu