Ian,

There's an article on geomirror on www.daemonnews.org that I use as a guide on working with dump. I do exactly the same sort of thing moving my FreeBSD machines between instance and physical on VMWare. I've done it in both directions many times using a USB drive as the medium.

I have a move coming up soon, so I shall try to document it for the future. Let me know how this works for you.

Cheers,
Mikel King
CIO, Tech Alliance, INC
Senior Editor, Daemon News
39 West Fourteenth Street
Second Floor
New York, NY 10011
http://www.techally.com
http://www.daemonnews.org
t: 212.727.2100x132
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.