Hello Nikola,

Thanks for the warning in (1).  It took so long to install that I would
normally have thought something had gone wrong.

The actual path to SETUP was different, but after I found it everything worked
well.
I tried a few of the HP drivers, but the one that finally worked was the
deskjet driver (#160 in section 3) -- just for the record, my precise printer
model is:
                hp LaserJet 1320 PCL 6 (60.41.41.0)

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards,

Alex Beros

Please answer to the list.

The manual explains basic things only. You need a more sophisticated
filter for advanced tasks. Do the following:

(1) Install print/apsfilter. Please be careful about default page
    format (A4 vs. Letter) since apsfilter will install several other
    packages according to this. Apsfilter is not very big itself, but
    has a lot of dependencies.

(2) Run /usr/local/share/apsfilter/SETUP. I'm not 100% sure what driver
    you should choose on the main menu (hpijs is recommended for your
    printer), but please try drivers from sections 3 and 4 of apsfilter
    drivers list (concentrate on PCL support).

(3) Try various printing qualities, colour modes, and dpi settings in
    order to make the best output of the test page.

Apsfilter will allow you to print all possible formats (incl. DVIs,
PDFs, images, HTML, Gimp's XCF and much more) using lpd directly.

Nikola Lečić