I've got my FreeBSD system setup with KDE and sound. I have 2 questions:

1. I got sound to work simply by doing "kldload snd" but then I did
kldstat and saw that all available sound modules had been loaded. I
thought that was unnecessary - is there any way (besides inserting
each module one at a time) that I can determine which exact module is
providing the driver for my sound card?

2. I can play a music CD just fine as root, using cdcontrol, as described
in the handbook. But under KDE, running as a non-root user, I cannot
play music CDs. I looked at the permissions on /dev/acd0c, and they are
0640, root.operator, so an ordinary user cannot read the CD. I changed
the permissions to 0644, and I could play the CD. However, there must
be a good reason for the permisisons to be 0640, and I don't want to
mess up the permissions just to get the CD player to work. What is the
"official" way to get this to work? The handbook didn't mention it.

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org