On 6/10/07, N.J. Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sunday, 10 June, 2007 at 14:29:46 +0300, Angelin Lalev wrote:

> I want to build squid from ports, but I need to pass some custom options to
configure script. Something
>  more, I want to be sure that when I run portupdate it won't revert to
default options. Which is the
> right way to do this ?

ports-mgmt/portconf may be what you are looking for.  I use it to select
the correct dictionary for ispell.

Cheers,
       Nick.

I don't think he is asking about preserving port knobs, he wants a way
to directly pass arguments to the configure command, and I don't think
there is a way to do this. I would actually also like this sort of
functionality, because for some ports the knobs are not enough. For
example, when you build php5-pdo_sqlite there is no way to specify
that the extension should be built as shared. There was a way to do
this before all php ports were reorganized, and it was only there
because I submitted a patch to the maintainer. After the
reorganization it was taken out again. Right now, there is no way to
install sqlite separately and have the extension use your existing
library. It always insists of compiling the bundled version, even
though the parameters to use something else are there. The result is
that there is no way for me to upgrade the sqlite version used by php
even if the port has something newer. I would have to modify the
Makefile manually and then lose all changes when it is updated.

Portconf is a good way to make sure that things are upgraded properly,
I use it to transfer configurations from one machine to another which
is also convenient. However, I wish there was a universal knob that we
could use to specify our own configure parameters for those ports that
don't have knobs for our desired functionality.

- Max