On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
Harriet Severino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting an error message, and do not know how to fix the problem.
> I have a new Intel Celeron laptop, and want to run FreeBSD on it. I
> chose the standard installation for user + Xwindows. After teh
> insytallation I configured Xorg, by section 5 of the documantation. The
> test worked, and I made no changes to the config files.
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD severino.home 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12
> 11:05:30 UTC 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i385
>
> The error message comes when I boot the machine, as the login prompt
> appears. the Xorg has not started, I have a console login prompt. Error
> Message:
>
> Jun 10 12:09:33 severino init: getty repeating too quickly on port
> /dev/ttyv8, sleeping 30 secs.
>
> This message repeats about once every 30 seconds.
>
> Please tell me how to fix this, or where to get the infomation on how
> to fix this.

X is misconfigured and it exits back to the console.

If you use xdm/kdm/gdm, it will restart X. This throws you into a loop that
makes the machine unusable, since you can't access the console because it's
trying to switch into graphics mode all the time.

Getty detects this, and freezes the console that created this for 30 secs,
which gives you a chance to log in through the console and fix whatever error
you have.

You should check your Xorg configuration.

Best regards