I am not on any VI list, but thought I would post this here to see if anyone had any ideas.

This is my first FreeBSD server, so I am still learning.

I got my backspace and delete working the shell after a few adjustments, but they still act odd in VI. I have checked setting with my linux boxes (the backspace and delete work fine there) and everything looks the same. I did an stty -a | grep erase and it tells me that erase is Contral-? and erase2 is control-H. I have changed both around to make them either Ctrl-? or Ctrl-H, but that has not helped.

If I hit backspace it just backs up on the line until were input-mode was started during this input-mode session. If I hit delete then it capitalizes the charcter behind the cursor and throws me into command-mode.

I am not sure if there are anymore settings to change in FreeBSD or if it is a setting in VI.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Scott Mayo
System Administrator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.