On Jun 11, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Noah wrote:
I recently added firewall filters to my home linux box, and now I am experiencing named errors. I am running DDNS that sends out updates for my dynamically assigned IP address for the router/linux box at the edge of my home network. It appears that those updates periodically time out. I can telnet from the linux box to port 53 of the DNS server just fine.

While DNS traffic can use 53/tcp, most DNS queries are done over UDP and not TCP. Presumably you should adjust your firewall rules or improve the logging of your firewall rulesets so you can better understand where the issue is.

--
-Chuck