Jens B wrote:
* Kiffin Gish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-06-09 09:45]:
I've been struggling now for 2 weeks trying to do the xorg upgrade,
following the upgrading instructions to a tee, but it has turned into a
complete mess.

If worse comes to worse, what it the best way to proceed?

Is there an easy way just to reinstall xorg from scratch?

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Kiffin Rex Gish
Gouda, The Netherlands

In such cases the best would be to deinstall xorg with all
dependencies and install xorg from scratch.
Believe or not, I tried to install a new computer over the weekend. I installed only the base system from the CD, and tried to install with

portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
make
make install
portupgrade -a
rehash
portinstall xorg-server

The result was a message saying that I should read /usr/ports/UPDATING and follow the instructions there to upgrade from 6.9 to 7.2. Even after I installed portupgrade-devel and "setenv XORG_UPGRADE" I still had trouble installing xorg 7.2 I'm not talking about upgrading, this was a new install. I believe there are problems with the xorg server in the ports tree, but I had no time to send in a report. I just fixed it by hand. If some of you is going to install a new machine in the future, please run it inside "script" and send a bug report.

Best,

  Laszlo