On 6/13/07, Ian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:02:38 -0600 Andrew Falanga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > a hard hang.  Nothing worked.  I could not even Alt+<num> to a
 > different pseudo terminal.  The system just hard hanged.  I rebooted
 > and tried the install again with the same result.

At the same place?  If so, I'd tend to suspect memory rather than cpu.

No it did not stop at the same place.  I still suspect memory versus
the cpu, especially considering that, apparently, there were several
generations of the K6.  I didn't know this.  For several years, I did
not have the time or money to play with hardware and therefore lost
touch with much of the hardware that was out there.

 > I'm wondering if it could be hardware, specifically memory.  I've
 > never seen a FreeBSD, OpenBSD or Linux (for that matter) hard hang on
 > program compilation apart from hardware problems.  Also of particular
[..]
 > System configuration is as follows:
 >
 > AMD K6 700mHz
 > 256mb RAM (PC 133)
 > 13gb HDD

700MHz?  Please show us the line from your /var/run/dmesg.boot showing
the exact cpu and clock.  This will also indicate features & stepping
that should pinpoint the cpu model.  From one 4.10 system hereabouts:

 CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (400.91-MHz 586-class CPU)
   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
   Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
   AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
 real memory  = 134152192 (131008K bytes)

That's a K6-2, though it doesn't say so there.  From memory, the fastest
ever K6-2 was ~550MHz, but people did tend to wildly overclock them ..

I will provide this info., hopefully tonight when I get home.  I'm
pretty sure this was never over clocked.  It was the secretaries
computer of the church I attend.  I'm working on remaking the system
into a web server as the secretary was just given a laptop.

As others have mentioned, K6s don't like running too hot.  I nurse two,
the 400 and a 450MHz box that run forever as long as the cpu fan is ok.
And when they do overheat, they'll freeze, but I've never actually seen
one damaged (as opposed to a couple of fried P3s of similar vintage)

If you really are running it at 700MHz (at what bus speed setting?) then
I'd treat it to a new heat sink with fresh thermal paste and a BIG fan.

Ok, sounds good.  I'll see what I can find for this CPU.

And sure it's best to run matched-speed memory.  Your BIOS probably lets
you play with wait states and such, but the basic PCI bus speed might be
something weird if you've managed to crank the cpu up to 700MHz ..

How do wait states relate to memory speed?  Please enlighten me.  I
have an idea, but I'm only theorizing, I'd like to know what it really
means.  If it's more in depth than one would like to type in a
response, sending a link is fine.  I learned quite a bit on the "Sig
11" links given earlier.

Thanks,
Andy