On Jun 13, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
Are there any physical limitations to the number of connections
(TCP/UDP) that are determined by the physical interface itself?

Sure. Divide the interface speed by the size of the smallest packets one can send including ethernet preamble, all headers, and the minimal gap between frames. There's a PDF here with all of the details:

  ftp://ftp.cs.princeton.edu/techreports/2002/645.pdf

...but for 100Mbs full-duplex, you can send up to ~150 Kpps of minimum-size packets, or ~8 Kpps for max-sized packets.

We have a PF load-balancing solution in place in front of a large number of mail
servers and we're considering using the same boxes to front our Name
Server/Name Resolvers. I'm concerned that the single uplink port on the
PF box will be overloaded with the number of connections.

One hopes that your "large number of mail servers" are only sending email to people who have actually opted in and wish to receive such email...?

--
-Chuck