On 13/06/07, Andrew Falanga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/06/07, Andrew Falanga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

First off, my apologies to the group.  I think I've been hitting
"reply" only and not "reply-to-all".

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/GCC-SIG11-FAQ

> > > Roland
> >
> > Ok, while researching these things I found this.  Does FreeBSD have a
> > work around?
> >
> > http://membres.lycos.fr/poulot/k6bug.html
> >
> > This machine I'm having problems with is an AMD K6.
>
> A K6-700?  Without doing too much
> flabulous research, I believe the K6
> stopped at 300MHz.  A 700 would be
> a K6-III, which would not have the
> 32MB problem.  Flaky and heat-sen-
> sitive they are indeed.  And there is
> a lot of junk 133 memory out there
> too.
>
> Based on my limited experience, about
> 60% of the time you can run 100MHz
> memory at 133MHz. If not you may have
> to rejumper your bus-speed to 100.
> If you are further unlucky the board
> won't have a 7:1 multiplier and you'll
> be stuck underclocking pretty seriously.

What is a 7:1 multiplier?

The CPU on basically every x86 machine after the original
pentium runs faster than the bus (or memory) speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Side_Bus

The board will probably have jumpers (though sometimes
boards this old will have bios options) to select Front Side
Bus speed (typically 33, 50, 60, 66, 75, 100, 120, and 133MHz
on a machine of this age) and a second set of jumpers to
select the CPU multiplier.
An old K6-III 450MHz I have here uses a 100MHz bus and
a 4.5:1 multiplier (which alternately might have been marked
9:2) to obtain the 450MHz CPU speed.  A 700MHz CPU on
a 100MHz bus would require a 7:1.  If it really does have a
133MHz bus, it might be set to something like 5.2:1.

In any case, your troubles are likely either bad memory or
a too-hot CPU, the second of which might be something
as simple as dust or a bad fan bearing.