Written by Andrew Falanga on 06/14/07 11:07>>
On 6/14/07, Reid Linnemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Written by Reid Linnemann on 06/14/07 10:39>>
> Written by Andrew Falanga on 06/14/07 10:02>>
>> I'm trying to get samba working in a test environment.  I do not need
>> great functionality, so I'm going off of the simple setup stuff in the
>> Handbook.  This should be enough.  I've configured my
>> /usr/local/etc/smb.conf file for a single share (the /tmp share) and
>> changed the workgroup name and set passwd backend = smbpasswd; I then
>> tried to start samba with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba start.  After
>> this, I get only, "Removing stale Samba tdb files:  done."  The
>> handbook shows that I should see,
>>
>> Starting SAMBA: removing stale tdbs :
>> Starting nmbd.
>> Starting smbd.
>>
>> I then tried "sockstat" and did not see any listening sockets for the
>> daemon "smbd."  I don't know if I would, but I wanted to try this.
>> I'm not convinced at this point that I'm actually getting samba to
>> start.  How can I verify this?
>>
>> I'm trying to add users to the smbpasswd file using smbpasswd, but
>> this is to no avail.  What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Andy
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Sorry, that should read 'samba_enable="yes"'

No, I do not want samba running all the time.  Only in certain
situations.  Apparently, the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba
{start,stop,restart} script does not start samba.  I do not know why.
If I start smbd directly, it starts up and I can browse/connect using
smbclient.  So, I think that the problem is fixed, for the most part.
I'm still wondering why the system didn't start when using the samba
script in the local rc.d directory.

Oh, my user problem was due to the fact that the user I was trying to
add to samba didn't exist on the server yet.  I had to do "pw useradd
..." first.  That's what I get for working on so many machines that I
can't keep track.

Thanks,
Andy

Don't forget to cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

The rc script at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba follows the FreeBSD rcng scheme, if the rcvar 'samba_enable' is not set to 'yes', then the script will not start or stop the samba process.

Run the script without any commands to see usage. To check the status of rcvars that control the script's behavior, run the script with the 'rcvar' argument; e.g.

~/> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba rcvar
# samba
$samba_enable=YES
# nmbd
$nmbd_enable=YES
# smbd
$smbd_enable=YES
# winbindd
$winbindd_enable=NO

Note that nothign is stopping you from running smbd and nmbd manually, the rc control script simply automates the control of the daemon for you.