On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Bill Moran wrote:

Prakash Poudyal wrote:
Hello Tek
I think you donot have a root password it may be blank. And you know the
group of the root is wheel. your user group and root group is same so be
careful with that too.

Hi Prakash,

This is the 2nd time that I am facing this root password problem in
FreeBSD-6.2.

I did set the root password during sysinstall. In addition, I had even
created a user account in the wheel group. However, for some strange
reasons, the user got deleted and the root's password got reseted to
blank when the freebsd box got rebooted.

After reboot, I again have to manually set the root password and create
a user account once again. All is fine and well after that.

I have really found FreeBSD-6.2 stable and steady for production use
however.

You've got something bizarre going on with your setup.  I've never seen
the behaviour you describe.

Are you sure that when you set the password, it actually works?  It's
difficult for me to even imagine what kind of problem would cause what
you describe without the system also being completely unstable as well.

Can you give us script captures of the process (sanitized as necessary,
don't email out any passwords) so we can see what you're doing any all
the messages the system provides?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

I've seen that before, but not since when I was first getting started out in
5.4.

Did you accidentally overwrite and install at least base from scratch? Always
go to post-configuration (or whatever the option is), and not the installation
section..

-Garrett