Andrew Falanga wrote:

I just read my reply to this from the weekend.  Wow, it sounds like
I'm a complete idiot.  Ok, what I meant to say (had other things on my
mind this weekend) was that being unfamiliar with 'script' I thought
it was some sort of interpreter through which I had to run this
"xorg-upgrade" script mentioned in the UPDATING file.  As you can see,
my lack of understanding for script lead to a bad assumption.

The big clue is in the text description where it refers to script(1) i.e. a command with a manual page in section 1 of the manual! It's always worth a quick man or apropos if you come across something you don't recognise.

--Alex