On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:33:07PM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:17:43PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> >>this probably was due to your old xorg.conf having the wrong paths in it.
> >>The
> >>errors should be pretty obvious, otherwise using xorgcfg should make a
> >>good one
> >>and you can, at least, use it to compare the differences.
> >

> >     Ah, this is the new scriptthat creates xorg.conf, correct?
> >     A bit easier than typing X -configure and messing with the
> >     /root files.  What I don't understand is all the output about
> >     missing modules to stderr.  ...but .... ... .
>
> Which modules does it say are missing? I went through a very similar
> situation earlier today, where the X log file reported that mouse and
> kbd modules were not found.

        Yes, the err mentioned something about the mouse as well. I
        figured the file would stay in /var/log/dgm/ so I didn't save.
        I had planned to go back and grab the error output and re-create
        the stderr's from the   X -configure.  But when everything had
        been portupgraded (-aP),  everything Just Worked.  The error file
        was missing, and I launched full-tilt into getting thngs back up.

> A bit of dragging through the ports tree,
> and I found that they are installed as ports in their own right these
> days. I'm not certain why they didn't get installed as part of the huge
> Xorg upgrade as detailed in UPDATING, but installing them by hand made
> the errors go away.

        For me, I had to re portupgrade -aP at least four times.  Maybe
        last night was the 5th.  And the symlink script took several runs
        before tehrer was in /usr, X11R6 -> /usr/local  ...

> So, the moral of the story is, I suppose, if you're happy that all your
> paths are correct in your xorg.conf, and that you have followed Kris'
> upgrade instructions, try looking for an individual port that installs
> the missing module.

        I will run xorgcfg (sp?) and another X -configure in, oh, 30
        years.  Next time I powercycle the new server :-)  No missing
        modules tihs time, thankfully.

        We've had it relatively easy, as users, I think.  I's beeen on
        the other side, so hat's off to the ports guys.

        gary