On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:01:56PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:44:23 -0700
> Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >     Ah, this is the new scriptthat creates xorg.conf, correct?
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> man script
> (not related with X)

        Right; did use it last time.
        But them I fergot i was in script; finaaly I ^D out of it, then I
        forgot what I'd named it... .

> AFAIK, xorgcfg has been around since Xorg has existed. and before that,
> xfree86cfg (which has existed since 1995 at least). btw, if you replace 'cfg'
> with 'conf' you get a text-based version of the same tool, in case the
> autodetect doesnt work.
>
> >     A bit easier than typing X -configure and messing with the
> >     /root files.  What I don't understand is all the output about
> >     missing modules to stderr.  ...but .... ... .
>
> It would do it if you start X by hand (as opposed to start it via /etc/ttys
> with XDM or via gdm/kdm)...it would put all the info in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> too.

        Ok, that's why  nothing was in X.org.0.log, then last night.  I
        kept trying the X disp manager or kdm, or gdm.

I remrmber configuring X back in v2.0.5 ith xfree86conf.  and *cfg when
it'd work.
Yet another hassle last night was settingthe hardware of this Hitachi. 8
or 10 buttons and two hours of mucking-with, i'm pretty close.   There used
to be an GUI program to fine tune your CRT.  Sometime RSN I'm going to
buy an LCD display and lighten my carbon footprint by 50 tons/year!

(*mumble*)