On Wednesday 20 June 2007 01:27:01 am Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 6/20/07, Garrett Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Adam St. George wrote:
> > > Will FreeBSD be able to have a setup for 16 monitors?  Id love to
> > > finaly, and fully switch to FreeBSD from Microsoft, but two things hold
> > > me back. 1. Multi monitors
> > > 2. Using/configuring Wine
> > > If I can have a setup with 16 monitors, are there any threads, or
> > > websites
> > > which could help me to do so?  I will be using Quadro Nvidia cards (4).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > 1. SLI support and Crossfire support don't exist in Unix. How can you
> > possibly setup 16 monitors? Even with splitters, it's not possible
> > (unless you use PCI cards).
>
> I'm not sure about SLI and Crossfire, but I'm sure that
> Unix doesn't really need them to support that many monitors.
> Whether you use one Xorg instance or multiple ones, you can
> certainly use 16 monitors. The only issue could be nvidia's
> binary drivers, but I hope they support their Quadro's.
>
> Search for words like "Xinerama" and "multiheading"
>
> > 2. Wine has plenty of Howto's all over the net.
>
> Linux has better support for wine, but FreeBSD is not far
> behind. E.g. many people are running 3D games under wine
> in FreeBSD. Internet Explorer is happily running on PC-
> BSD, which means it won't have much trouble on FreeBSD.

The binary nvidia driver works just fine with Quadro cards, and between
Xinerama and the built-in TwinView support (possibly only using one or the
other) I'm sure you'd be able to drive all your screens and arrange them how
you'd like. Just be prepared to do some research, use the nvidia-xconfig tool
a couple times, do some experimenting, and then manually edit your xorg.conf
to get the behavior you want. (Possibly repeated a few times).

You'll have the best luck with the nvidia driver on 6.2 or 6-STABLE, and it
only supports i386 (not amd64). Take a look at this list to be sure you
install a version of the driver that supports your card:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/1.0-9746/README/appendix-a.html

JN