Hi Louis,

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 22:15, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm finally getting around to setting up a caching dns
> server.  Pretty confusing from my angle.
>
> Here's what I have so far:
> named enaabled in /etc/rc.conf
> cd to /etc/namedb and run sh make-localhost
>
> and the following in /etc/namedb/named.conf:
>
> options {
>       directory "/etc/namedb";
>       forward first;
>       forwarders {
>               151.203.0.84;
>               151.202.0.84;
>       };
>       listen-on { 10.8.20.5; };
>       version "surely you must be joking"
>       query-source address * port 53;
> };
>

> zone "." {
> type hint;
> file "named.root";
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
> type master;
> file "localhost.rev";
> };
>

> 10.8.20.5 is the interface to the internal network, and I'm hoping the
> listen-on statement above will restrict requests to the internal
> network - And from the local machine if I simply add that IP to
> /etc/resolv.conf.  The IPs in the forwarders block are my ISPs dns
> servers.
>
> Anyone care to point out my mistakes so I don't go making an ass of
> myself by turning on named with a broken config?

I once had a similar set up as what you've described as your intention
here. I'll not critique what you've done, but I'll point you to the
handbook, which has a complete section on DNS and mentions what needs to
be done to set up a basic caching nameserver - its here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dns.html

Hope this assists in some way. Lots of luck!

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts