Greetings-

I'm a pretty new user of FreeBSD and I've enjoyed every minute of it so
far.

I'm trying to update gcc via the package/ports system, but I've had a
few problems.

'pkg_add -r gcc'

Results in a error message that the file is unavailable.  This make
sense, because the package it's looking for
(ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.7-release/Latest/gcc.
tgz) does not exist.

I downloaded the ports package (/usr/ports) and went into the /lang/gcc
directory.  I first tried 'make.'  That ran for awhile, but when it
finished, gcc still reported version '2.95.4.'  After that, I realized I
should run 'make install.'  That ran for awhile, but in the end, when I
ran gcc -v I still got this message-

Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]

I'd like to be using 3.2 so I'd be using the same compiler as my
University's server. I could get the source from GNU and install that,
but I'm trying to utilize the FreeBSD Package/ports system as much as
possible.

Am I missing something?? Is there something else I should try?

Thanks for the help!

Thaddeus