On 6/28/07, Roberto Nunnari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Kevin.

No DHCP. The box gets a static address. From rc.conf:

ifconfig_em0="inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd  netmask 255.255.252.0 media 1000baseTX"

as you see, I also tried to use a fixed speed (both on the server
NIC and the switch port) instead of autoconfiguration, but it
doesn't help.

Kevin Downey wrote:
> On 6/28/07, Roberto Nunnari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Thank you Gilbert.
>>
>> I think I will give that a try.
>>
>> But it seams to me that is not the solution.. it may
>> be a workaround but not a solution.. It seams to me
>> that early_late_divider is in case you mount a FS
>> like /usr/local where there are startup scripts executed
>> at the late stages of the boot process.. and that's
>> not my case.. my case is that the em0 interface, somehow
>> gets ready too late.. it doesn't react in a responsive
>> way to the up command.. I have other boxes with different
>> NICs, mounting that FS without problem and without
>> the early_late_divider option.
>>
>> Can anybody tell why this strange behaviour started
>> after upgrading from 5.3-RELEASE to 6.1-RELEASE (that
>> was last summer or early fall). May it be related with
>> the problems of the em driver? Is there a solution?
>>
>> is there a way to tell the boot system to wait until
>> ifconfig_em0 is be up?
>>
>> or a way to have em0 responde up before in the boot stage?
>>
>> Thank you again.
>> Best regards.
>>
>> --
>> Robi
>>

>> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>> > I think you're looking for the early_late_divider as described in the
>> > manual for rc.conf(5).
>> >

> if you are using dhcp there is an option to run dhcp in the
> background, which means the system doesn't stop and wait for dhcp to
> configure the address. So if you are using dhcp take a look at the
> dhcp variables in the rc.conf manpage

try adding an "up" in there.
ifconfig_em0="up inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd  netmask 255.255.252.0 media 1000baseTX"

--
i'll unhook my oily pink mini-kimono, you kill him in honolulu --
www.thelastcitadel.com