* Gary Jennejohn ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> "local.freebsd.questions" writes:
> > >********************************************************
> > >Define WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER to include Matrox's extra
> > >"HALLIB" binary driver
> > >********************************************************
> >
> > And indeed it then pulled down drivers from the Matrox
> > site and I see mga_hal is loaded in the X log. Amazing!
> >
> > I had thought that these drivers were for Linux only.
> >

> It's not a driver, it's a moduke for X and apparently is pretty
> much OS independent.
>
> > The question immediately arises, in what way is XFree86
> > better with these drivers (on a G400) than the normal
> > open-source drivers? If it's only enabling TV out then
> > on a bog-standard G400 I won't see any benefit I guess.
> >

> I don't know about the G400, but's it's the only way I can use the
> DVI output on my G550.
>
> I can't address the other questions.

Here is more info about the HAL library:

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2001/powerdesk_1_00_7/readme_pdesk.txt

a relevant snippet:

  The Matrox HAL ("Hardware Abstraction Layer") library is required
  to enable DualHead, TV output, and digital flat panel support with
  G400-based graphics hardware. The HAL library is required for
  certain PowerDesk features such as adjusting refresh rates and
  display positioning, and using "DualHead Multi-Display - Merged"
  mode.

mike