Jack Stone wrote:
[ ... ]
A while ago, I noticed someone's kernel config that included:
hertz=2000 which made me wonder where this setting info comes from?

I've been using hertz=1000 however, with my much faster boxes, is this appropriate now?

It depends on what you are doing: it is most useful to tune HZ higher when machines are being used as firewalls/routers and/or are using device polling. Faster HZ rates cause greater system overhead but will give shorter latency, up to a limiting point.

In simpler words, tuning HZ too high is bad.  :-)
One needs to do measurements and tune appropriately.

--
-Chuck