On 04/07/07, Kelly Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Most FreeBSD kernels let you set a flag(?) to decide whether "chflags
noschg" will work in multi-user mode.

How do I do this w/ Mac OS X? Here's what happens when I do "chflags
noschg" in multi-user mode:

# chflags noschg test.txt
chflags: test.txt: Operation not permitted

The opposite, "chflags schg", works fine. I realize this is a security
feature (you can protect files in multi-user mode, but not vica
versa), but it's annoying.

I also realize I can boot into single-user mode
(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106388) where "chflags
noschg" works just fine, but I'd like to use noschg more as advisory
protection from myself, not something that requires single-user mode
to undo.

(serious crossposting removed)

Under FreeBSD this general behaviour is
controlled by the kern.securelevel sysctl.
On a running system this can be raised, but
not lowered, and it would seem that Apple et
al have chosen to do it correctly.  Pain in the
metaphorical arse, but This Isn't Windows(sm).