OpenSSH_4.5p1 FreeBSD-20061110, OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004
  debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
  debug1: Connecting to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com [x.x.x.x] port 22.

What is really baffling is that if I try the exact same thing from, say,
a cygwin session on a host on the private network - this works fine.
So ... it's not a firewall problem as near as I can tell.  It may be
an ssh configuration problem - that is, the FreeBSD ssh client can't do
it, but another client (cygwin) can.

It would be helpful if you include your firewall ruleset, plus
sshd_config.  It's possible that one or more is misconfigured, but we
would have no way of knowing without your telling us about them.

SC