Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway...

I have a Red Hat Linux system I need to get rid of. It is currently doing e-mail for approximately 700 users and is also doing radius authentication. I have setup a new FreeBSD computer to take it's place. I have everything setup now on the FreeBSD computer except for the user accounts and mailboxes. The mailboxes aren't a problem, I've used tar to move mailboxes before.

I suppose I cannot simply copy /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /home from the Redhat computer to the FreeBSD computer due to the password hash in /etc/passwd. Am I correct on this? Would it be possible to copy /etc/passwd then (before the new system goes "live") reset all the passwords with the passwd command? That might be easier than adding in close to 700 accounts using adduser. Does anyone have a better idea of how I might go about doing this?

Thanks,

Lisa Casey