Nejc Škoberne wrote:
Hello,

I would like to create a custom set of packages, so that they will
be installable to my other FreeBSD boxen.

As I understand, I have to use 'make package-recursive', but I have
some problems with it:

1. Is there a way to tell 'make package-recursive' not to _install_
   package, but only build it? It is annonying and time-consuming
   to deinstall every package after it is installed.
2. To refer to the previous point: I need to deinstall the packages
   which I 'make package-recursive'-ed before, or else some other
   package which also depends on a port which is already installed
   will not include that (already installed) package. How to change
   this behaviour? I would like that the packages, which I create
   via 'make package-recursive', _always_ include _all_ other
   dependent packages.

Thanks for your help.

P.S.: Do you guys have any scripts for building a customized package
set?

Bye,
Nejc

There is another little know way to create packages, assuming you have them already installed on the source machine: The pkg_create command. It can create installation packages from the already installed ones. Even better, it can create all dependency packages as well in one go with the -R option. For example, in my test machine I have the xorg 7.2 installed. I can create packages for the whole system with:

pkg_create -Rb xorg-7.2

You have to get the exact name of the installed pkg using the pkg_info or pkg_version command, i.e. in the above example pkg_info |grep -i xorg The utility creates the packages in the directory you are currently in. I usually do this /usr/ports/packages

I used it last week to create packages for sudo, bash, xorg, xfce, portupgrade and others all of which installed without a hitch on my other machines. In fact I plan to create custom CDs with latest packages to use on my new BSD installations and spare the endless download-compile cycle...

Hope this helps,
Manolis