The daemon is up and has been up for a long time. In fact, when I made these
changes to sshd_config, for instance as a test maxauthtries to 3 I also
reloaded it during a ssh terminal session. After which I logged back in and
as a test, purposely errored the tries; it still defaulted to 6 despite the
sshd_config file change and reloading.

when I say I get no message I mean to state as such:

$/etc/rc.d/sshd status <--carriage return
$ <--no message after return.

Thanks Pete.

-Huy

On 7/10/07, pete wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/10/07, Huy Ton That <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No, it was unhashed. Thanks for pointing it out though. But the strange
> thing is when I run:
>
> /etc/rc.d/sshd status
>
> I get no message
>
> No message for start, restart, reload etc. I am performing these
commands as
> root.
>
> Any ideas?

(couple things, please don't top post, and be sure to keep
[EMAIL PROTECTED] cc'd on this thread so others can help you)

i'm not sure what you mean about "no message".  make sure you have
sshd_enabled="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf.

also check to see if sshd is running by using "ps".  if it is not, try
starting it by hand - this will tell you if there are any errors on
startup.  once it starts cleanly by hand then use the init script in
/etc/rc.d/sshd.

the man page for sshd is very helpful, and should answer many of the
questions you may have - including how to start the daemon by hand,
etc..  type:
man sshd

-p

--