On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
Derek Ragona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Clearly you have a disk controller compatibility problem.  I do know
the Sil chips are terrible, and there is a long history of issues with
these chips and FreeBSD!

That's interesting to me. Is there any further information available
on that subject?

I've been using SiL chips with Linux for quite a while with no
problems, and I was planning to do the same with FreeBSD as well, but
if there are known problems with SiL and FreeBSD I may need to rethink
that decision.

(To be more exact, I've been using the SiL 311[24] chips)

There are significant hardware defects with the SiliconImage 311x chips, which can mostly be worked around if you accept a loss of performance. These workarounds are implemented in both Linux and the BSDs, but details are available here:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Silicon+Image+3112 +bugs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

...gives results such as:

http://www.nabble.com/SII3512-rev0---t3995350.html

--