this is what I got:

listen-on {
   127.0.0.1;
   192.168.11.50;
};

Try that, restart and see if it works locally (from the server).

Also the logs spit anything out?

Other thing is firewall, I think simple blocks it by default? So you might want to try that.

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
Hello,

I am slowly trying various features of FBSD and I have just enabled named
to be my local caching DNS server.  It works fine but I have one question.
I would like it to be a caching DNS server for my LAN.
So following the Handbook I tried setting a proper LAN IP address of the
named machine:

listen-on { 192.168.11.50; };

However, when I restart named, it does not want to work (no DNS then). The
handbook suggests that when I want a caching server only, I should not
touch zones.

Any hint what I need to do to make it work for my LAN?

Thank you in advance!

Zbigniew Szalbot