On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:44:57 +0200 h p <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > I try to install FreBSD 6.2 as third OS on my laptop (after Windows XP
 > and Gentoo Linux).
 >
 > I only have a logical partition left for it. sysinstall only shows
 > four slices on my hard drive, ad4s1 - ad4s4. ad4s4 is correctly
 > recognized as a DOS extended partition, but the logical partitions
 > inside it are not displayed - so I can't select the slice I have set
 > aside for FreeBSD.
 >
 > Is this possible? I don't find that limitation in the handbook, and it
 > seems utterly anachronistic to me. What can I do to get around this?

Josh is right; you can't install to or boot from a 'logical partition',
it needs to be one of the 4 primary slices.

That said, FreeBSD can access each 'logical drive' in the 'extended
partition' (FAT16/32, NTFS and HPFS (r/o), probably ext2fs, and of
course UFS), here as ad4s5, ad4s6 ..

Are all three of ad4s1 to ad4s3 now in use for XP and Gentoo?  Do you
have other 'logical drives' already in ad4s4 that can't go elsewhere?

Could you maybe install Gentoo in the 'extended partition', freeing up
its primary slice for FreeBSD?

Cheers, Ian