Norberto Meijome wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:27:41 -0400
pj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Somethings isn't quite right here.
It was suggested I load the accf_http from the /boot/loader.conf file. I did. So, now I removed the line from /boot/loader.conf; it is empty of any directives. I rebooted and accf_http.ko is no longer in the kernel - according to kldstat.

man loader.conf

Once you understand what loader.conf is for, and what a kernel module is, you
should understand what has happened.

ps xa | grep htt gives

.... /usr/local/sbin/httpd - DNOHTTPACCEPT

Something is fishy here... any thoughts?

nothing fishy at all. read the man, read about kernel modules, read :)

Why me? I always seem to get these weird anomalies... :(

sorry to break it to you, but odds are it's due to your current lack of
understanding of the system, rather than the universe poised against you :)
don't worry, it's fixable (understanding, not the universe ;) ).

Good luck,
_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"There are two kinds of stupid people. One kind says,'This is old and therefore
good'. The other kind says, 'This is new, and therefore better.'"
 John Brunner, 'The Shockwave Rider'.

Warned.

Well, I don't think the universe is against me. I rather think that there is a really serious lack of communications skills among many programmers. I find that often the simplest installations are overly complicated and "convoluted," if you will. For example, I have been strugglling with the installation of CUPS. For some reason the CUPS metaport would not install. I finally decided to install only the cups-base and then the configuration and implementation were child's play. No need to install gnu-ghostscript of gutenprint or any of the other stuff - I just put the ppd file for my specific printer in the cups/ppd directory, tweaked the configuration and bingo. The same for OpenOffice.org... I had to figure out a way to simplify the installation and had no need to go through 12 hours of compilation from the source code. The binary was a snap, once I figured it out. Apache22 and Samba had me confused for a while, but with a little help from the mailing list I got straightened out and it all works like a charm.

But the httpd -DNOHTTPACEPT remains a mystery; after removing the loader.config entry, I rebooted, checked the kldstat, found the module no longer loaded in the kernel but the ps waux | grep httpd still came up with -DNOHTTPDACCEPT. I did not do any further tweaking or make any changes to apache22 and now it boots correctly and the -DNOHTTPDACCEPT is no longer there. Now, wouldn't you say that is weird. But then, I do admit that I do not understand the system.

However, I am the greatest fan of "understanding" you could find. That's why I ask questions that may seem strange at times. BTW, my advice to programmers and, for that matter, anyone in any kind of a project - think about the end user and how he will see the results of your works, how he will use it without having the "creator's" vision.

I enormously appreciate the help you and everyone who responded were able to offer. Hope I can do so for others as I grow with the system.
Phil