Kurt Buff ha scritto:
On 7/14/07, Modulok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip rantage>
I just need something stable enough that I can catch some
sleep without this re-occurring nightmare.

Is there hope? Thoughts? Suggestions?
-Modulok-

Look at eBay for a used 24 port HP switch. They are reliable, and the
lifetime warranty doesn't go away because you bought it used. They
have serial console ports. In particular, take a look at the ProCurve
2510-24.

I've had some problems with cheaper HP ProCurves...

I sleep a lot better since I switched to 3Com.
I've got some running 24/7 without a hitch for some years without once rebooting them; they are under UPS as every switch should be (but probably they would work fine anyway).
They can be managed through http/https, telnet, ssh, SNMP, ecc...
The web interface isn't exactly what I would dream of, but there are worse ones. It's some years old, anyway, so it might have had improvement over time (I never updated it). It doesn't require flash or java or any other crap.

They are not as expensive as Cisco, but neither they are as cheap as others. If you buy used one, you should also inherit their life warranty, as described by Kurt (but check this, since it might depend on the exact model). Depending on your budget (does "not $500+" means "max $490"? :-) you might afford a new entry level one.

Just my two cents.

 bye
        av.